OpenSSH 4.7: call for testing.

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Aug 17 20:10:06 EST 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007, Darren Tucker wrote:
> Running the regression tests supplied with Portable does not require
> installation and is a simply:
>
> $ ./configure && make tests

I tested on NetBSD-current/i386 (version 4.99.27).

There was no configure script in the code that I obtained from
"cvs -d anoncvs at anoncvs.mindrot.org:/cvs checkout openssh".

I managed to generate a configure script via "autoreconf",
and the configure script appeared to work.

make tests failed with the following error:

run test connect.sh ...
Missing privilege separation directory: /var/empty
FATAL: sshd_proxy broken
*** Error code 1

I created /var/empty (as root) and then ran "make tests" again (as an
unprivileged user).

This time, "make tests" complained about some unrecognised syntax in my
.ssh/config file.  OK, the file did contain syntax that I didn't expect
an unpatched vesion of openssh to understand, but it seems liek an error
for the tests to use whatever random contant I happen to have in my
configuration file.  Surely the tests should use "-F /dev/null", or "-F
${special_configuration_file}"?

I moved by .ssh directory aside and tried "make tests" again.

This time, "make tests" succeeded.  However, it created an empty
$HOME/.ssh directory.  I think it's rude for a test suite to create any
non-temporary files or directories.

--apb (Alan Barrett)