OpenSSH PKCS#11merge

Ben Lindstrom mouring at eviladmin.org
Sun Dec 30 12:02:35 EST 2007

I'm sorry if this has been discussed in other places.  Looking back at
this thread I don't see any real discussion of it here.

However, can someone give a run down as to why the current smartcard
implement fails, why it cannot be fixed and thus must be replaced?
It bothers me when people's solution is to throw out code because it
doesn't do what they want without giving a solid reason why a new
infrastructure is needed, or how this new setup will completely replace
the existing setup.

Just as bad is having two implementations living side-by-side and by the
looks of the patch can both be compiled in.  Does having both enabled
have any ill effects?  Should they both be allowed to be compiled in?

As for X.509.. If one has followed this list for any period in time they
will have seen the concerns about OpenSSL's X.509 parser complexity and
the issues it has caused them in the past.  That is part of the reason why
djm@ and the other have no intention.

I remember discussions about writing a simplified X.509 parser that only
looking at fields that OpenSSH cared about, but I've been away for over
two years so I suspect that was abandoned. =)

- Ben