OpenSSH PKCS#11merge

David Smith david.daniel.smith at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 13:30:45 EST 2007

Hi Ben,

Sunday 30 December 2007 10:02:35 に Ben Lindstrom さんは書きました:
> I'm sorry if this has been discussed in other places.  Looking back at
> this thread I don't see any real discussion of it here.

It has been discussed in many threads on the list over the last few years.
Search for PKCS or the posts from Alon Bar-Lev and you should find them all.

> However, can someone give a run down as to why the current smartcard
> implement fails, why it cannot be fixed and thus must be replaced?
> It bothers me when people's solution is to throw out code because it
> doesn't do what they want without giving a solid reason why a new
> infrastructure is needed, or how this new setup will completely replace
> the existing setup.

Sure. To sum it up, currently OpenSSH uses OpenSC, which only provides support
for a limited number of smartcards. OpenSC is meant to be just another
PKCS#11 API implementation and if OpenSSH where to use PKCS#11 API instead of
OpenSC's specific API, it would be available to the wider world of
smartcards. Personally, I want to use it with opencryptoki, another free
PKCS#11 implementation, that supports the TPM chip in many workstations and
laptops.

On top of this, Alon's patch adds new features: dynamic insertion and remove
of smartcards, session timeouts, and token removals.

> Just as bad is having two implementations living side-by-side and by the
> looks of the patch can both be compiled in.  Does having both enabled
> have any ill effects?  Should they both be allowed to be compiled in?

There aren't really any ill effects of having both in, but it is redundant.
OpenSC speaks PKCS#11 so using Alon's code one would still have support for
the same cards they're using now, and with his feature improvements it would
work better. I'm suggesting to have both of them compiled in and available to
ease the transition, but it's been stated on this thread that the PKCS#11
support should eventually completely replace the OpenSC support.

> As for X.509.. If one has followed this list for any period in time they
> will have seen the concerns about OpenSSL's X.509 parser complexity and
> the issues it has caused them in the past.  That is part of the reason why
> djm@ and the other have no intention.

Let's leave the x509 issue for another day. The PKCS#11 patch doesn't
*require* x509 support, and I'm much more interested right now in having a
secure storage option for my SSH key then I am in having that key be
validated via my organization's PKI, as probably a few other people are.

> I remember discussions about writing a simplified X.509 parser that only
> looking at fields that OpenSSH cared about, but I've been away for over
> two years so I suspect that was abandoned. =)

Well, apparently the x509 support patch from Roumen Petrov is extremely full
so whenever that issue comes back around, it might be a good starting point.

Thanks for your feedback,
dds