chan_read_failed for istate 3 on serverside when scp'ing file

Jochen Kirn jochen.kirn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 20:25:43 EST 2007

Hi,

when scp'ing a file from hostA to hostB I receive following error message on
the server side.
Message in authlog:
Jan  9 15:01:32 zapphod sshd[3229]: [ID 800047 auth.error] error: channel 0:
chan_read_failed for istate 3

The file itself is transfered correctly, so I'm wondering why this error is
being logged and what this error message means

It seems that the occurance of this message is not platform specific, as I
have tested it on following systems
platform: SuSE SLES 9, Solaris 8 & 9
SSH version: OpenSSH 4.5p1 + OpenSSL 0.98d

can anybody clear me up on this ?

thanks

Jochen