ControlPersist and multiple X11 forwarding.

John Davidorff Pell johnpell at mac.com
Tue Jan 30 08:40:56 EST 2007

Good afternoon!

I've been looking for a way to avoid having to keep my "master" ssh
session open while I have others open. This is particularly a pain
when my "master" is an scp connection.

After searching the archives, I came up with this thread
"ControlPersist and multiple X11 forwardings." However, I can't find
anything saying that it was incorporated or not, or what has
happened. The last reply to this thread was in 2005.

Unlike the originator of the thread, I don't have a patch to offer,
only a request to make:

I would find the ControlPersist option very useful, but I would find
a slight alteration even more useful: an option to background the
"master" process *so long as there are open channels*. I don't want
an open ssh connection just hanging around, but I also don't like an
extra, useless xterm left open doing nothing at all while another
window has something going.

Thanks!

JP

--
if (message.signature==FUNNY) steal(message.signature); else
message=message->next;