ControlPersist and multiple X11 forwarding.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Jan 31 01:09:32 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 13:40 -0800, John Davidorff Pell wrote:
> After searching the archives, I came up with this thread
> "ControlPersist and multiple X11 forwardings." However, I can't find
> anything saying that it was incorporated or not, or what has
> happened. The last reply to this thread was in 2005.

Bits of it were incorporated but other parts are still outstanding.
I build my own packages for Fedora Core with the remaining bits applied.

http://david.woodhou.se/openssh-control.html has the patches, although
the packages linked from there are old -- the current packages are at
ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/dwmw2-fc6/

> Unlike the originator of the thread, I don't have a patch to offer,
> only a request to make:
>
> I would find the ControlPersist option very useful, but I would find
> a slight alteration even more useful: an option to background the
> "master" process *so long as there are open channels*. I don't want
> an open ssh connection just hanging around, but I also don't like an
> extra, useless xterm left open doing nothing at all while another
> window has something going.

Would you settle for a timeout -- letting the master background itself
but then disconnect after a period of inactivity which you can configure
as low as you like, and which I can set to infinite?

--
dwmw2