What would cause keyboard-interactive packet connection close

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Mar 1 13:17:45 EST 2007

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
[...]
> 	FreeBSD 5.X (I don't remember off hand) and it identifies
> as :
>
> OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030924, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f

The client-side debug that you posted looks like sshd is either crashing
or killing the connection during keyboard-interactive authentication.
The problem may lie in sshd or in one of the PAM modules that it's
configured to use.

You can try forcing password auth ("ssh -o
PreferredAuthentications=password yourserver") which may work around the
problem, but it's dependent on your server's configuration.

If you can get on to the server you could check the syslog or, better
yet, run sshd in debug mode to give you a much better idea of what's
going on.

Anyway I'm pretty sure FreeBSD had their own keyboard-interactive code
in versions of that vintage to support PAM so it's unlikely that we will
be able to help you.  You probably need to seek help from the FreeBSD folks.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.