What would cause keyboard-interactive packet connection close

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Thu Mar 1 13:28:38 EST 2007

> Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:
> [...]
> > 	FreeBSD 5.X (I don't remember off hand) and it identifies
> > as :
> >
> > OpenSSH_3.5p1 FreeBSD-20030924, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090704f
>
> The client-side debug that you posted looks like sshd is either crashing
> or killing the connection during keyboard-interactive authentication.
> The problem may lie in sshd or in one of the PAM modules that it's
> configured to use.

	It should be :

auth            required        pam_nologin.so          no_warn
auth            sufficient      pam_opie.so             no_warn no_fake_prompts
auth            requisite       pam_opieaccess.so       no_warn allow_local
auth            required        pam_unix.so             no_warn try_first_pass

account         required        pam_login_access.so
account         required        pam_unix.so

session         required        pam_permit.so

password        required        pam_unix.so             no_warn try_first_pass

	That seems to be the default on the client side, and I know I
didn't change it on the server side.

> You can try forcing password auth ("ssh -o
> PreferredAuthentications=password yourserver") which may work around the
> problem, but it's dependent on your server's configuration.

	:( It claims :

debug1: authentications that can continue: publickey,keyboard-interactive
debug3: start over, passed a different list publickey,keyboard-interactive
debug3: preferred password
debug1: no more auth methods to try
Permission denied (publickey,keyboard-interactive).

> If you can get on to the server you could check the syslog or, better
> yet, run sshd in debug mode to give you a much better idea of what's
> going on.

	If I could, yea. Unfortunately just not able to due to other
circumstances.

> Anyway I'm pretty sure FreeBSD had their own keyboard-interactive code
> in versions of that vintage to support PAM so it's unlikely that we will
> be able to help you.  You probably need to seek help from the FreeBSD folks.

	Ok, thanks.

			Tuc