dfs/dce and openssh

Simon Wilkinson sxw at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri May 11 06:37:58 EST 2007

On 10 May 2007, at 12:21, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> Perry Smith wrote:
>> I searched google and did not find any hits on this being solved.
>>
>> I want to get ssh so I can the dsa/rsa style password it in an
>> environment that uses dfs/dce authentication if that is possible (and
>> it has not already been solved).  In other words, I want to be able
>> to log into a host as a dfs/dce user without typing my password.
>

> DCE uses Kerberos 5, so the GSSAPI code in SSH should work. Delegation
> should also work, so you can get tickets for DFS.

The problem here is that you can't use OpenSSH's DSA/RSA key-based
authentication and still have credentials on the machine that you've
logged in to. I don't know enough about DCE to be able to comment on
that specific case, but in a standard Kerberos environment, you'd
need to run 'kinit' after login in order to have credentials. There's
no way (that I'd want to deploy) of getting around this.

Simon.