dfs/dce and openssh

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Fri May 11 09:01:06 EST 2007

Simon Wilkinson wrote:

> On 10 May 2007, at 12:21, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>> Perry Smith wrote:
>>> I searched google and did not find any hits on this being solved.
>>>
>>> I want to get ssh so I can the dsa/rsa style password it in an
>>> environment that uses dfs/dce authentication if that is possible (and
>>> it has not already been solved).  In other words, I want to be able
>>> to log into a host as a dfs/dce user without typing my password.
>>

>> DCE uses Kerberos 5, so the GSSAPI code in SSH should work. Delegation
>> should also work, so you can get tickets for DFS.
>
> The problem here is that you can't use OpenSSH's DSA/RSA key-based
> authentication and still have credentials on the machine that you've
> logged in to. I don't know enough about DCE to be able to comment on
> that specific case, but in a standard Kerberos environment, you'd need
> to run 'kinit' after login in order to have credentials. There's no way
> (that I'd want to deploy) of getting around this.

DFS is like AFS on steroids, but you need Kerberos tickets to access DFS.
So the answer to "I want to be able to log into a host as a dfs/dce user
without typing my password." is no.  But with GSSAPI and Kerberos
you should only have to do this once a day (kinit), on the machine in
front of you.
(I have not used DCE/DFS in about 5 years when we turned it off and went
back to AFS.) DCE had an early Kerberos PKINIT support, so you might be
able to use PKINIT to avoid typing a password.

> Simon.

  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue
  Argonne, Illinois  60439