Openssh4.6p1 Make tests failed in sftp

John Wong jwwong at nortel.com
Thu Sep 6 06:42:30 EST 2007

Hi All,

After configuring and compiling OpenSSH version 4.6p1 in my SUN Solaris8
ultrasparc machine, I run "make tests" and got the following errors. The
compiler used is GCC3.3.

run test sftp.sh ...
test basic sftp put/get: buffer_size 5 num_requests 1
sftp failed with 1
test basic sftp put/get: buffer_size 5 num_requests 2
sftp failed with 1
test basic sftp put/get: buffer_size 5 num_requests 10
sftp failed with 1
test basic sftp put/get: buffer_size 1000 num_requests 1
sftp failed with 1
test basic sftp put/get: buffer_size 1000 num_requests 2
sftp failed with 1

I do not get these errors when running "make tests" with OpenSSH version
4.3p2 in the same machine.

When I installed the 4.6p1 package to my machine and test sftp from a
client, I got the following log messages in the authlog:

Sep  5 17:09:51 wcarsx0h sshd[23483]: subsystem request for sftp
Sep  5 17:09:56 wcarsx0h sftp-server[23840]: error: process_write: write
failed
Sep  5 17:09:56 wcarsx0h sshd[23483]: error: channel 0: chan_read_failed
for ist

Further debugging on process_write of sftp-server.c, I found that the
errno returned from the "write" function is always "File too large" no
matter what is the size of the file. I appreciate your help to further
investigate the possible casue of the problem.

Thanks in advance,
John