how to test the performance of modified openssh

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Sat Jan 12 09:29:03 EST 2008

Chris Rapier wrote:
> Ben Lindstrom wrote:
>> The only performance testing I've ever seen was a "max transfer rate"
>> test.
>
> This is the tests we most commonly use when developing HPN-SSH. We're
> actually in the process of developing some methods to test application
> layer latency though.

For testing raw throughput I use "dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 | ssh server
ssh dd of=/dev/null bs=1k" (making sure compression is off) which takes
any disk IO out of the picture but still does IO in chunks.

If I care about disk IO (eg fiddling with scp) then I'll just grab a
random large file and use it for the test data.

>> Which lead to deciding the encryption order and discussions about
>> v2 vs v1 preformance differences.  Along with Internet2 testing to find a
>> better way of gaining preformance on massive pipes.
>>
>> In both cases I believe the test was pretty much a "dd if=/dev/urandom ..
>> | ssh '| cat /dev/null'" style testing or transferring of real data.
>> Timing the time it takes to move XX amount of data then doing the math.
>
> I also use Iperf over a SSH tunnel to do tests. It can give you some
> useful options (mutliple streams, different RWINs, MSS, and multiple
> streasm, disable nagle, etc) and statistics (1sec avgs, etc).
> Unfortunately, it uncovered an odd situation with the HPN-SSH code
> though that I'm still trying to resolve (the window doesn't grow. :\).

Chris: make sure you have clientloop.c rev 1.171.  There's a latent bug
that sets the max packet size to nonsensically large values for remote
port forwards, which may or may not be affecting you.

>> I don't believe anyone has done any testing on the cost of
>> authentication.  Truth of the matter is if it is near instance I doubt
>> anyone really cares (I sure never have =).
>
> I care! :) Not a whole lot because we generally see the authentication
> process as sunk cost. It matters a lot on low bandwidth long delay
> connections involving small transfers. Its more difficult to amortize
> the cost of authentication in those instances.

I've also done the "time ssh server true" thing Ben suggested when
looking at things that potentially change the connection establishment
time (not that common, but things like Diffie-Hellman tweaks, random
reseeding or the recent protocol 1 ephemeral server key thing).

The catch is that if your authentication require user interaction then
you have a massive extra variable which you would need to account for.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.