ssh works, but sftp doesn't

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Sat May 10 00:13:11 EST 2008

On Fri, 9 May 2008, kannappan wrote:

> Hi Damien,
>
> Yeap. I am able to execute that command(sftp -P /usr/sbin/sftp-server
> 10.20.0.183) for any users.

Sorry, I don't have any idea what is going wrong. Some more things
for you to try:

1. Run sftp server directly from a ssh client, what happends?
   ssh yourhost /usr/sbin/sftp-server

2. Change the SubSystem declaration in the server to point to a
   different program instead of /usr/sbin/sftp-server and repeat
   test #1 - does this work?

3. Rebuild OpenSSH from pristine sources (making sure you are using the
   latest version - 5.0). Does this help?

4. Rebuild sftp-server and insert a sleep() call at the start so you
   can attach a debugger to it.

5. Try the new sshd_config "internal-sftp" subsystem (in openssh-5.0).

-d