openssh on interix

Martin Koeppe mkoeppe at gmx.de
Sun Nov 23 12:39:02 EST 2008

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Martin Koeppe wrote:

> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
>> This is all the same problem Cygwin's port to OpenSSH has. However, on
>> Interix/SUA the user can store the password in the registry using the
>> `regpwd' tool.  I have no idea how the password is stored and how to access
>> it from privileged Interix processes, though.  Isn't there some
>> documentation?  Or is the password only accessible by daemons created by
>> Microsoft's developers?  Maybe you should try asking this on the MS
>> newsgroup dedicated to SUA:
>>
>>   microsoft.public.servicesforunix.general
>
> The password is accessible from non-MS tools, too. Rodney has build an
> (closed source) openssh which uses private keys and finally the regpwd stored
> passwords.

The regpwd stored passwords are stored in the same (Windows standard)
way as e.g. Dial-in passwords or service account passwords are stored,
i.e. under:

HKLM\Security\Policy\Secrets\

In Interix in security.h there are setsecret() and getsecret()
available for storing and retrieving the passwords. There is also a
man page for these 2 functions.

The tool Cain from http://www.oxid.it may be helpful, too.

Martin