errors on getaddrinfo(): nodename nor servname provided, or not known

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Fri Oct 17 08:54:29 EST 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Jesse Armand wrote:

> Manual startup works fine.
>
> I did add -i and -ddd and -e arguments into com.openssh.sshd.plist.
>
> But there's no further debugging output on launchctl start com.openssh.sshd
>
> My original purpose is just to target openssh-4.7p1 with my own path
> on arm-apple-darwin9 platform, which listens on specific port (besides
> 22), and it's only using SSH protocol version 2.
>
> And no, there's no ktrace / kdump.
>
> It seems the only way to debug is by not detaching sshd into a daemon
> (-D) option.

I've seen this problem on Darwin but not on MacOS X. If I remember
correctly, launchd is listening on the port and handing over the
connected socket to sshd, much like inetd.

sshd tries to get the remote address of the socket, but it can't, because
it's being proxied by launchd, so it generates an infinite stream of error
messages in the system logs/console and spins at 100% CPU.

With my limited knowledge of launchd, I was not able to make it run
sshd as a real daemon which handles port listening and incoming
connections itself. Perhaps copying a configuration from MacOS X might
help?

Cheers, Chris.
--
\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |