OpenSSH GSoC Project

Jan Pechanec Jan.Pechanec at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 24 03:53:18 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Jawaad Ahmad wrote:

>Also, I'm curious about the rationale for this. Why beef up sftp to
>handle this if scp already takes care of it? Do you envision cases in
>which scp is available but sftp is not?

	SFTP is a different protocol, a real one, and while still in a
draft, will hopefully become an RFC some day. It's rather a file system
protocol now. See this:

	http://tools.ietf.org/wg/secsh/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer/

	in contrast to that, SCP is just an RCP over SSH link. Very simple,
not extensible, meant to be a quick replacement for rcp(1).

	http://blogs.sun.com/janp/entry/how_the_scp_protocol_works

	if sftp(1) command can do all what scp(1) can do then users could
stop using scp completely, and preferrably just link it to sftp.

	J.

--
Jan Pechanec