OpenSSH GSoC Project

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Wed Mar 25 23:06:24 EST 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Jan Pechanec wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Jawaad Ahmad wrote:
>
> >Also, I'm curious about the rationale for this. Why beef up sftp to
> >handle this if scp already takes care of it? Do you envision cases in
> >which scp is available but sftp is not?
>
> 	SFTP is a different protocol, a real one, and while still in a
> draft, will hopefully become an RFC some day. It's rather a file system
> protocol now. See this:
>
> 	http://tools.ietf.org/wg/secsh/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer/

Unfortunately, I think the changes of sftp becoming an RFC sunk when
people started cramming it with irrelevant features ahead of actual
implementation experience. IMO someone should pick the 03 version of
the draft and publish it as an informational RFC - it is what everyone
implements and its extension mechanism allows most of the features that
others wanted anyway.

-d