OpenSSH GSoC Project

Jan Pechanec Jan.Pechanec at Sun.COM
Thu Mar 26 22:35:41 EST 2009

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Damien Miller wrote:

>> 	SFTP is a different protocol, a real one, and while still in a
>> draft, will hopefully become an RFC some day. It's rather a file system
>> protocol now. See this:
>>
>> 	http://tools.ietf.org/wg/secsh/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer/
>
>Unfortunately, I think the changes of sftp becoming an RFC sunk when
>people started cramming it with irrelevant features ahead of actual
>implementation experience. IMO someone should pick the 03 version of
>the draft and publish it as an informational RFC - it is what everyone
>implements and its extension mechanism allows most of the features that
>others wanted anyway.

	some SFTP implementations on Win platform support version 4. That's
defined in draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-04.txt, and the next -05.txt bumps up
the version further to 5 which seems to make bigger changes. In contrast to
version 3, version 4 supports ACLs which I think is a good thing. In general
version 4 seems to make the protocol more system independent (I guess that
might be why 4 is implemented in apps used on Win...).

--
Jan Pechanec