OpenSSH with "resumable" functionality

William Ahern william at 25thandClement.com
Mon Apr 19 10:46:04 EST 2010

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 07:00:59PM -0500, Misha Koshelev wrote:
> Thank you. Looks to be defunct per
> http://airhook.ofb.net/

I used the library in a project a few years ago to create a multiplexed
reverse RTSP proxy. You could stream your audio-video files from your home
desktop, through any firewalls or NAT gateways, to generic cellphone
handsets--i.e. no smart phone required, nor client application--using our
servers as ingress/egress points. Everything worked flawlessly.

The airhook protocol was far from ideal for this type application, but the
code was well written and allowed me to move on with the gazillion other
tasks that needed to be done, comfortable in the knowledge that I could
return later to replace it if necessary, but no sooner.

Not sure what the author meant by saying it was never implemented properly.
I made a few optimizations, but not for correctness. The code is very clean
and well designed. If the code has any failings, it's in copying data around
too much. But it's not meant to--and because of the protocol never
will--move data at gigabit rates.

The author hasn't touched the code in years, but he never had to; it's
entirely complete.

I never made use of the command-line utility, however. It works, but it's
meant as an example of API usage, so you can't really fault it. The library
interface is well designed, but fairly low-level. To build anything
sophisticated requires significant work, but that's no fault, either.