OpenSSH with "resumable" functionality

Chris Wilson chris at qwirx.com
Mon Apr 19 17:35:33 EST 2010

Hi Misha,

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010, Misha Koshelev wrote:

> I was wondering if it might at all be possible to have the following functionality in OpenSSH:
> (i) upon "timeout" of connection (say 2-5 seconds) disconnect
> (ii) keep trying to reconnect
> (iii) upon reconnection, resume session exactly where started
[...]
> However, I am confused as to (i).

It might reduce the confusion (yours and ours) if you defined exactly what
you mean by "timeout"?

If you mean "packet sent with no response from the remote side", you can
do that (or something similar) with the TCPKeepAlive or
ServerAliveInterval options to the client.

You can do (ii) by wrapping the ssh command in a shell loop:

while ! ssh user at host -o 'ServerAliveInterval 5' screen -d -RR;
do true; done

Cheers, Chris.
--