please decrypt your manuals

Doru Georgescu headset001 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 20 17:43:14 EST 2010

--- On Mon, 4/19/10, Doru Georgescu <headset001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Doru Georgescu <headset001 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: please decrypt your manuals
> To: "OpenSSH" <openssh-unix-dev at mindrot.org>
> Date: Monday, April 19, 2010, 4:55 AM
> Doru Georgescu wrote:

> Not at all. This suggests that you are (again?) confusing
> the
> protocol SSH with the implementation OpenSSH.
>
> The documentation relating to these two things will not
> neccessarily
> overlap very much, if at all. It's better for each entity
> to document
> it's own scope accurately, than for everyone to try to
> document
> everything.

> Really, look at RFC 4251 and 4252. You may not even need to
> go into
> the details of 4252 to answer your questions.

> Really, to get the details of the SSH protocol, you should
> look at
> the RFCs. They are not too dense, and should be digestable
> in a day
> or two if you want to read them from start to end.

I believe that we can reach the conclusion that you consider the ssh manuals as a support for ssh developers, while I consider that the ssh manuals should be a support for the users of ssh. From your point of view, the ssh manuals should contain sketches of ideas that a ssh developer would need to remember, while I expect a coherent and self sufficient (but not complete) functional description of ssh. As a user, I need to use it, so I expect to see its functions described in the manual. As a developer, you need to remember some name of a configuration option in the sshd_config file.

It looks strange to see such an important application like ssh without a user's manual, but I understand that the developers are not motivated to write it, so this is an economical problem, not a technical one.

Thank you all for your support, which I fully appreciate, and it did help me very much.

> << Right, the client user, not the client machine
> authenticates to the server. This sentence would also make
> the manual too clear.

Maybe it should be: the "client user account" is authenticated to the server.

Doru