ssh -f and pid

Ming minger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:39:53 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Damien Miller <djm at mindrot.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Ming wrote:
>
> > I'd like to second the patch -- or functionality like it -- that
> > Folkert van Heusden proposed twelve months ago for the distribution.
> >
> > Without ssh -f returning the pid to the caller, numerous daemon and
> > script monitor packages can't manage ssh, as they can countless other
> > daemons that properly return pid.  A monitor needs to record the pids
> > of ssh processes it has started to kill them or to know when they have
> > died.  Proper keep alive settings are no use against connections reset
> > by peer.
>
> It isn't necessary. You can tear down ssh connections from the control
> socket and learn the PID of a running SSH, see the commands listed
> under -O in ssh(1).
>
> -d

A individual can do an number of things with a understanding of and beyond
the man page, but how do you get ssh to play nicely in a ecosystem of
monitoring software?

Say the os has bunch of ssh processes active.  How the monitoring software
in a standard way which ones it created -- and thus track -- and which ones
it hasn't?

ControlPath has to be specified for -O and command line query required?  How
is ssh suppose to plug and play with monitoring software?