ssh feature - ignore colon in host name

Paul Mansfield paul.mansfield at taptu.com
Fri Feb 19 22:21:56 EST 2010

sorry if this has been discussed and rejected before, I'm new to the
list, I did google but didn't find anything.
--

quite often I use ssh and scp within a few minutes, so I might do this...

   scp myfile user at host.example.com:
   ssh user at host.example.com

it would make life a lot easier if I could type
   scp myfile user at host.example.com:
   ssh !$

or sometimes I simply copy too much and paste in host name and then have
the faff of removing it. ok, that's a particularly bad example of being
lazy :-)

for the above to work, ssh would have to ignore the colon, that's all. I
don't think the colon can have any significance in the hostname, so
throwing it away wouldn't be harmful!?

I could write a wrapper script, but I'm lazy, and figured it would be
nicer if ssh could simply have this quick hack... please

thanks for your time
Paul