"phishing" (was: [patch] Automatically add keys to agent)

Joachim Schipper joachim at joachimschipper.nl
Sun Jan 31 05:11:25 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 04:59:45PM -0500, Hank Leininger wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 Joachim Schipper wrote:
> > What this patch does can be described as follows:
> >
> > Without:
> > you at local$ ssh somehost
> > Enter passphrase for RSA key 'foo':
> > you at somehost$ exit
> > $ ssh otherhost
> > Enter passphrase for RSA key 'foo':
> > you at otherhost$
> >
> > With:
> > you at local$ ssh somehost
> > Enter passphrase for RSA key 'foo':
> > you at somehost$ exit
> > $ ssh otherhost
> > you at otherhost$
> >
> > That is, it means you don't have to type the passphrase twice.
>
> This sounds very convenient.
>
> It also sounds very dangerous.
>
> Imagine an attacker has access to your account on a target system.  They
> modify your authorized_keys [or .bashrc] to run [a script prompting
> for a passphrase] when you connect.

> This is a concern with regular ssh setups as well: [an attacker] may
> try feeding you a bogus prompt and you might [enter your passphrase].
> The ways to avoid ever falling into this trap:
>
> 1) Always ssh with -v, and read the verbose messages every time, so you
>    are certain you know where the prompt originated.  Not likely.
>
> 2) Always ssh-add your passphrases locally first, before ssh'ing
>    anywhere.  For best results, set BatchMode=yes by default in
>    ~/.ssh/config so that you will never ever ever be prompted
>    legitimately; the connection will simply fail until you remember
>    to ssh-add.  Therefore any time you are ever prompted when ssh'ing
>    somewhere, you are being messed with.
>
> Your patch undermines 2).  If it became a standard practice to
> "transparently add a passphrase to the agent the first time a key is
> used", then people will get used to the behavior that they sometimes
> have to enter their passphrase when ssh'ing somewhere, and sometimes
> don't. That will make them more willing victims. (...)

I'm sorry for the slow response; I'm in the last stage of writing my
thesis, and that's always a busy time.

If I understand you correctly, you argue that connecting to malicious
hosts is currently secure, and will remain secure, but that it will
become easier to convince people to send the passphrase for their key.

You are right that this is a concern, but note that an attacker would
only learn the passphrase to a key, which should be uninteresting
without the key.

More importantly, as you note, the current situation is no better. If
you currently use keys, the attacker could send another 'Enter
passphrase for <keyfile>' message to obtain the passphrase. (And of
course, if you currently use passwords, an attacker could obtain your
password!)

You are not wrong, but isn't this point applicable to a much wider range
of cases than those covered by my patch? And do you know why it hasn't
been addressed yet?

		Joachim