Bad protocol version identification from UNKNOWN (patch)

G. D. Fuego gdfuego at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 03:17:10 EST 2011

I was just helping someone track down why they were getting a "Bad
protocol version identification" error for sshd, and I noticed that it
was logging that the connection was coming from UNKNOWN.

It looks like when this error condition is triggered, the socket is
closed and then the error is logged.  Unfortunately the logging calls
get_remote_ipaddr, which returns UNKNOWN if there is no socket.

The attached fix closes the socket after the logging is complete.