ssh 'connection reset by peer' problem since 5.8p1

Oren Held oren at held.org.il
Wed Feb 16 22:03:10 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:46:07PM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
> On 16/02/11 9:27 PM, Oren Held wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >As I haven't seen any related discussion here (or bug in bugzilla), I thought
> >it'll be good to do a heads-up for a recently introduced problem in 5.8p1 (or at
> >least after 5.5.x).
> >
> >Debian: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=612607
> >Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssh/+bug/708493
> >Arch Linux: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22897?project=1
> >
> >Any other information needed? Shall I file a bug in bugzilla?
>
> Can you reproduce the problem with an unmodified tarball from openssh.com?

Yes. I've just compiled a "vanilla" 5.8p1, and same result:

orenhe at orenhe-laptop:/tmp/openssh-5.8p1$ /opt/ssh/bin/ssh root at blade-8.ps
Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer

As for my compile flags, I used simple ./configure --prefix=/opt/ssh:
                     User binaries: /opt/ssh/bin
                   System binaries: /opt/ssh/sbin
               Configuration files: /opt/ssh/etc
                   Askpass program: /opt/ssh/libexec/ssh-askpass
                      Manual pages: /opt/ssh/share/man/manX
                          PID file: /var/run
  Privilege separation chroot path: /var/empty
            sshd default user PATH: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/ssh/bin
                    Manpage format: doc
                       PAM support: no
                   OSF SIA support: no
                 KerberosV support: no
                   SELinux support: no
                 Smartcard support:
                     S/KEY support: no
              TCP Wrappers support: no
              MD5 password support: no
                   libedit support: no
  Solaris process contract support: no
           Solaris project support: no
       IP address in $DISPLAY hack: no
           Translate v4 in v6 hack: yes
                  BSD Auth support: no
              Random number source: OpenSSL internal ONLY