ssh 'connection reset by peer' problem since 5.8p1

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Thu Feb 17 00:27:04 EST 2011

On 16/02/11 10:03 PM, Oren Held wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:46:07PM +1100, Darren Tucker wrote:
>> On 16/02/11 9:27 PM, Oren Held wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As I haven't seen any related discussion here (or bug in bugzilla), I thought
>>> it'll be good to do a heads-up for a recently introduced problem in 5.8p1 (or at
>>> least after 5.5.x).
>>>
>>> Debian: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=612607
>>> Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssh/+bug/708493
>>> Arch Linux: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/22897?project=1
>>>
>>> Any other information needed? Shall I file a bug in bugzilla?
>>
>> Can you reproduce the problem with an unmodified tarball from openssh.com?
>
> Yes. I've just compiled a "vanilla" 5.8p1, and same result:
>
> orenhe at orenhe-laptop:/tmp/openssh-5.8p1$ /opt/ssh/bin/ssh root at blade-8.ps
> Read from socket failed: Connection reset by peer

When this happens, does it happen immediately or is there a delay before
you get the "reset by peer" ?

Could you please collect both server and client side debug output?
(note that you'll need to use sshd -ddde to make sure you get all the
server output on stderr)

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.