autoconf.ac [was Re: Call for testing: OpenSSH-5.7]

Tim Rice tim at multitalents.net
Mon Jan 17 07:00:05 EST 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Tim Rice wrote:

> OK, I couldn't resist. Here is a patch (attached so mailers don't mangle it)
> that adds some additional M4 quoting, and uses AC_LANG_PROGRAM as suggested
> by Roumen. Autoconf 2.68 is happy with it and autoconf 2.61 still likes it.
> Using it with autoconf 2.61, there are no regressions on the 8 machines I
> tested on (config.h identical). It may be to late to get this in for 5.7.
> I'll let Damien decide.

Now the diff is larger that the file. (configure.ac.gz attached)

Consistent M4 quoting throughout,
updated obsolete AC_TRY_COMPILE with AC_COMPILE_IFELSE,
updated obsolete AC_TRY_LINK with AC_LINK_IFELSE,
updated obsolete AC_TRY_RUN with AC_RUN_IFELSE,
misc white space changes for consistency/readability.
I left the obsolete AC_TRY_LINK_FUNC for now.

There is probably more that could be done but I only did things
that I had a high comfort level putting into 5.7.

Rather than reviewing 4000+ lines of diff, it is simpler see if config.h
comes out the same. The steps are comething like this
configure a current snapshot
save the config.h
run make distclean
save a copy of configure & configure.ac
If you have autsoconf 2.61 installed
	move the attached copy of configure.ac.gz into place and gunzip it.
	run aotoconf
if not, grab my prebuilt one at
	http://www.multitalents.net/openssh/configure-1.464-test
Now rename it to configure and run configure with the same options as before.
Now do a diff on the 2 config.h files. I fully expect there will be no
difference. If there is, I'd like to know.

--
Tim Rice				Multitalents	(707) 887-1469
tim at multitalents.net