How to compile OpenSSH on HP-UX10

Douglas E. Engert deengert at anl.gov
Thu Jul 14 04:57:21 EST 2011

On 7/12/2011 8:33 PM, Bryan wrote:
> I did this as a project back in the early 2002, and I had a nice
> little how-to to walk me through it.  Many work places and moves, and
> I've lost it.  I have a friend who asked me about this recently, and I
> can't seem to find anything on the web, or the how-to I used (not
> surprised).
>
> If I remember correctly, you needed an up-to-date zlib, egd (or prng),
> OpenSSL, tcpwrappers, and OpenSSH.
>
> Have I forgotten anything?  I remember you had to build zlib, then
> egd, then it gets fuzzy.
>
> He wants to enable FIPS as well.  I've built OpenSSL/OpenSSH with fips
> for Windows, but is something like that possible with HP-UX?
>
> if anyone has a how-to with directions, my friend (and I) would
> appreciate.  I don't have access to that horrid OS anymore, so I can't
> help him short of what I gave him...  which isn't much..

For what it is worth, my configure/build scripts from OpenSSH-5.1
had this for HPUX, but I never build 5.1 for HP. The scripts where
carried over from previous versions and still had the HP parameters:
[...]
MYCFLAGS="-O"
MYCPPFLAGS=""
MYLDFLAGS=""
MYPAM="yes"
MYRAND=""

{...]
MYK5= (to krb5 directory)
MYZLIB= (to zlib)
MYWRAPPER= (to  wrapper)
MYSSL= (to OpenSSL)

[...]
# configure tests SSL and Kerberos and we need to make sure
# the libs we want to build against are in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
# Note: on Linux LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not override -rpath!!!
# This can cause problems in configure testing the header and libs
# and both 0.9.7d and 0.9.7e are called 0.9.7
# hp_ux102 has similar problems.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYSSL/lib:$MYK5/lib
SHLIB_PATH=$MYSSL/lib:$MYK5/lib
LIBPATH=$MYSSL/lib:$MYK5/lib
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MYSSL/lib:$MYK5/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export SHLIB_PATH
export LIBPATH
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

[...]
case $SYS in
[... other system types]
         hp_ux102)
                 MYLDFLAGS="$MYLDFLAGS -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings,+b,/krb5/lib -Wl,+cdp,$MYSSL/lib:/krb5/lib,+cdp,$MYK5/lib:/krb5/lib"
                 MYWRAPPER="no"
                 MYRAND=""
                 MYPAM="no"
                 MYCPPFLAGS="$MYCPPFLAGS -DUNSUPPORTED_POSIX_THREADS_HACK -D__hpux"
                 ;;
         hp_ux*)
                 MYLDFLAGS="$MYLDFLAGS -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings,+b,/krb5/lib -Wl,+cdp,$MYSSL/lib:/krb5/lib,+cdp,$MYK5/lib:/krb5/lib"
                 MYWRAPPER="no"
                 MYRAND="--with-prngd-socket=yes"
                 MYCPPFLAGS="$MYCPPFLAGS -DUNSUPPORTED_POSIX_THREADS_HACK -D__hpux"
                 ;;
         ia64_hpux112*)
                 MYLDFLAGS="$MYLDFLAGS -Wl,+vnocompatwarnings,+b,/krb5/lib -Wl,+cdp,$MYSSL/lib:/krb5/lib,+cdp,$MYK5/lib:/krb5/lib"
                 MYWRAPPER="no"
                 MYRAND="--with-prngd-socket=yes"
# hpux 11.23 had xom.h, used to need to fix rpcsec_gss.h
#               MYCPPFLAGS="$MYCPPFLAGS -DUSE_POSIX_THREADS -D__hpux -Dgss_OID_desc_struct=OM_object_identifier"
                 MYCPPFLAGS="$MYCPPFLAGS -DUNSUPPORTED_POSIX_THREADS_HACK -D__hpux"
                 ;;

esac

[...]
../src/configure \