openSSH 5.8p2 BindPort patch

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 11:16:58 EST 2011

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Rory McNamara
<pink.banana.fish at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a firewall at school which only allows ss(l|h) connections
> from port 443 to port 443, it also requires basic/NTLM auth. This
> patch enables me to use corkscrew to to the auth and ssh to set the
> source port. There may be other case scenarios of which i am unaware.

Interesting. What will they do to you if they find out you're doing
this sort of short circuit around their firewalls and possibly their
published policies? I'm not saying it's not worthwhile to be able to
do this, just wondering about the social consequences if you're
caught.

I'm not personally a big believer in filtering speech, but there are
enough "warez" servers hosted at schools against the wishes of the
people who pay for the equipment and the bandwidth that I'm curious
why you can't ask, or haven't asked, your admins to put a hole in the
firewall precisely for SSH connections if you really need it.