Enhance sftp protocol: get SHA hash of file

Thomas Güttler guettli at thomas-guettler.de
Thu Jun 30 06:25:10 EST 2011

Am 29.06.2011 18:37, schrieb TJ Saunders:

>> it would be great, if the sftp protocol could be
>> enhanced: get sha (or other hash value) from a file or part of a file.

> Rather than reinventing the wheel, you might take a look at the (expired)
> Draft which proposed the "check-file-name" and "check-file-handle" SFTP
> extensions:
>
>   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-secsh-filexfer-extensions-00
>
> These extensions have been implemented by various SFTP clients and
> servers.

Thank you very much! I googled for server which support
check-file-hanlde, but I found only proftpd which supports it.

The ietf extension is even better than my first proposal: You can
give a blocksize and get N hash values with one response.

I not a fluent c programmer. Any volunteers to implement this?

  Thomas Güttler