Limit SSH access for users from defined source address

Martin Čmelík martin.cmelik at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 21:15:18 EST 2011

Hi all,

let me describe my environment and problem.

System is RHEL 5.6 with latest stable OpenSSH.

In sshd_config is defined "AllowGroups sshusers" but I need limitation
to some of users in group to have access only from defined IP address.

As I know this can be setup in sshd_config only for AllowUsers, but
users in group are changed so I must use allowgroups instead of
allowusers.

I have modified /etc/pam.d/sshd

#%PAM-1.0
auth       include      system-auth
account    required     pam_access.so accessfile=/etc/security/access-sshd.conf
account    required     pam_nologin.so
account    include      system-auth
password   include      system-auth
session    optional     pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session    include      system-auth
session    required     pam_loginuid.so

and setup access file /etc/security/access-sshd.conf

- : user1 : ALL EXCEPT 1.1.1.1
- : user2 : ALL EXCEPT 2.2.2.2

This setup works fine. I'm able to login from defined sources, but
only via password authentication.

When I use ssh keys I'm unable to login and in /var/log/secure is this log

--attached--

.ssh directory and authorized_keys have permissions 600

I know that it is more related to PAM modules, but I hope that
somebody of you can help me more then PAM developers.

Thank you for any feedback!

Best regards,

—
Martin Čmelík