backdoor by authorized_keys2 leftovers

Dan Kaminsky dan at doxpara.com
Fri May 13 05:14:02 EST 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Markus Friedl <mfriedl at gmail.com> wrote:

> looks like we've been waiting too long :)
>
> http://www.openssh.com/txt/release-3.0
>
> 2) The files
> /etc/ssh_known_hosts2
> ~/.ssh/known_hosts2
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2
>  are now obsolete, you can use
> /etc/ssh_known_hosts
> ~/.ssh/known_hosts
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
>  For backward compatibility ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 will still used for
>  authentication and hostkeys are still read from the known_hosts2.
>  However, those deprecated files are considered 'readonly'. Future
>  releases are likely not to read these files.

In no uncertain terms, removal of authorized_keys2 support will cause
outages, up to and including requiring physical access for administrators to
resolve.  Documentation is not an excuse to make this change.

It's completely reasonable, desirable even, to allow a new configuration
option to explicitly define the set of files that can contain authorized
keys.  It'd even be convenient to have an AuthorizationCommand option, that
sent properly escaped strings to a command for external testing and
validation.