Need to build openssh rpm from 5.8 source

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 10:30:06 EST 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Vinay Nagrik <vnagrik at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Openssh group,
>
> I have downloaded the .tar.gz file from openssh site openssh-5.8p2.  I need
> to build this src into an rpm.  I don’t see any makefile utility in the
> main directory.  Although there are bunch of .c and .h files.  And I see
> Makefile in other directory, but none seems to build the openssh-5.8p2
> target.

Grab the SRPM from the next upstream release. Fedora 16 has that SRPM.
Review it and try to compile it locally, and be prepared to tweak
dependencies. You don't mention which OS you're working from: RHEL 6 should
be able to compile that SRPM without too much grief.

configure.in and Makefile.in are used by the "autoconf" tool. You can try
running "./configure" to see if it can find your necessary libraries and
tools to compile. If you work from the SRPM, you can review how that tool
is used for you.

> Could someone guide me as to how to build it from scratch.
>
> I am beginner to the list and need this help.
> --

Looks like you're a beginner to Linux software building as well: you may
encounter some resistance from the OpenBSD purists, since OpenSSH is
currently being maintained by the OpenBSD community.