spc restarts

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 04:17:36 EST 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:02:59AM -0500, Mark Anderson wrote:
> > I was wondering why scp didn't have a restart-in-the-middle
> > option when transferring a large file.  Isn't that something
> > that is supported by the underlying ssh protocol?  Is there
> > some other program that can give me this functionality ?
>
> rsync (-over-ssh).

Specifically, review the documentation for and use the "-P" option for
rsync, which can use rsync automatically. Rsync over ssh actually has a
number of concrete advantages over scp: In particular, using the "-a" or
related options, it can copy symlinks as symlinks, and using the "-H"
option, it can copy hard links as hardlinks. The syntax take a bit of
practice, especially to handle directories.

For example, to replicate /etc from one host to a backup on a localhost:
Note the options used, and the trailing slashes.

      rsync -avH root at srchost:/etc/ /backupdir/etc/