spc restarts

Jan Pechanec jan.pechanec at oracle.com
Tue Feb 28 05:47:39 EST 2012

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012, Ben Lindstrom wrote:

>On Feb 26, 2012, at 9:02 AM, Mark Anderson wrote:
>
>> I was wondering why scp didn't have a restart-in-the-middle
>> option when transferring a large file.  Isn't that something
>> that is supported by the underlying ssh protocol?  Is there
>> some other program that can give me this functionality ?
>
>Scp came from rcp.. Which is a stupid simple(ish) protocol
>more like doing:  tar -cvf | ssh tar -xvf.  So it really has nothing
>to do with the ssh protocol itself as it just needs a streaming
>socket to throw data at.

	hello, actually, "tar -cvf | ssh tar -xvf" can be much faster
then copying over scp, expecially with many files transferred over a
long distance link since the transfer of each file is confirmed before
the next one is sent. It is described here (section "Efficiency"):

	https://blogs.oracle.com/janp/entry/how_the_scp_protocol_works

	J.

--
Jan Pechanec