Transferring file to local machine when SSHing into a foreign box

Ángel González keisial at gmail.com
Wed May 9 07:38:00 EST 2012

On 30/04/12 20:49, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 18:39, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> wrote:
>> man ssh_config, search for ControlMaster.
> Thank you Dag!
>
> The ControlMaster option allows for the reuse of a session, but does
> not provide any nice "cpLocal" command for easily moving files from
> the remote machine to local (or vice versa).
If you have a master connection, you can open another terminal in local
and do a sftp/rsync from that, which would go through that connection.

> Rereading my original post, I see that I did not explicitly state that
> such an easy command was my goal. I often SSH into different machines
> and many of those I cannot modify with aliases and such. However, a
> facility for easily transferring files from / to these machines would
> be very nice.
How do you expect such command to work?
You could reconfigure your current connection adding a tunnel, and then
use that for transfering the files, but you'd still need a local daemon
(eg. ftpd) where to drop them.