Can not capture internal-sftp process log in syslog

Ángel González keisial at gmail.com
Wed May 9 07:46:06 EST 2012

On 08/05/12 22:15, Raghu Udupa wrote:
> Thanks Darren.
>
> I captured the strace. I am getting the error "Too many levels of symbolic links" while trying to connect to /dev/log
>
> connect(7, {sa_family=AF_FILE, path="/dev/log"}, 16) = -1 ELOOP (Too many levels of symbolic links)
> close(7)                                = 0
>
> my chrooted dir is /sftp/sftptest
> /dev/log is linked to /sftp/sftptest/dev/log
I think /dev/log is not linked to /sftp/sftptest/dev/log, but
/sftp/sftptest/dev/log points to /dev/log

Obviously, once you're in the /sftp/sftptest chroot,the /dev/log seen
from the inside is the same as the outside /sftp/sftptest/dev/log.
In other words, it has become a symlink to itself (thus it fails with
ELOOP).

You should either make them hard links (but you should probably recreate
them on each reboot), instruct syslogd to also listen on the chroot
/dev/log, or mount --bind the two /dev/log