"no such identity"

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Apr 2 00:44:40 EST 2013

With an OpenSSH 6.2p1 client with stock ssh_config and one of the
following cases:

 - I don't have any client keys
 - I have one or more client keys, but not one of each type
 - I don't have an authorized_keys on the server
 - I have an authorized_keys on the server, but it does not list any of
   the keys I have
 - One of my client keys is listed, but I don't have an agent and
   decline to type the passphrase

I get one or more of the following messages, depending on whether I have
a client key of each type:

no such identity: /home/des/.ssh/id_rsa: No such file or directory
no such identity: /home/des/.ssh/id_dsa: No such file or directory
no such identity: /home/des/.ssh/id_ecdsa: No such file or directory

load_identity_file() in sshconnect2.c prints this message if its
userprovided argument is non-zero.  The value comes from a struct
identity which is populated in pubkey_prepare() in the same file;
userprovided is set to 1 if the keyfile name comes from the client
option structure.  However, in this case, options.identity_keys is the
hardcoded default; I wouldn't say that really qualifies as "user
provided".

The attached patch adds a flag to the option structure which is set to 1
if and only if the IdentityFile option was encountered either in the
configuration file or on the command line.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no