Call for testing: OpenSSH-6.3

Darren Tucker dtucker at zip.com.au
Tue Jul 30 11:40:42 EST 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Iain Morgan <imorgan at nas.nasa.gov> wrote:
> The support for additional build hardening options which Darren
> suggested earlier this year seems to be missing. Is this an oversight or
> simply that there wan't enough testing and feedback in the meantime?

My experience was that it was a really good way to break compilers in
interesting and unusual ways.  I ICEd several versions of gcc on a
couple of platforms (no current versions, though) and made clang 2.9
to produce a binaries that would spin burning a whole cpu while doing
nothing (I reduced that one to a small testcase, however it's not
present in current versions).  Also, different compilers have
different takes on what -Werror means, which didn't help.

I'll probably put it in early in the next cycle so there's more time
to deal with fallout.

--
Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au)
usually comes from bad judgement.