AuthorizedKeysCommand size issue?

Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn cristian.ionescu-idbohrn at axis.com
Wed Apr 16 03:13:22 EST 2014

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014, Yves Dorfsman wrote:
> On 2014-04-15 10:49, Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn wrote:
> >
> > `man 1 curl'
> >
> >         --compressed
> >                (HTTP) Request a compressed response using one of the algorithms
> >                curl supports, and save  the  uncompressed  document.   If  this
> >                option  is  used  and  the server sends an unsupported encoding,
> >                curl will report an error.
> >

> Same error without the --compressed. I originally was compressing
> the pub keys and was using the apropriate Content-Encoding, which by
> the way is working with shorter list of keys, but quickly dropped
> that in order to debug.

What does $1 in:

	curl -s --compressed http://someurl.example.com/pubkeys/$1

expand to?
You may also want to do test a command line where you drop the '-s'
option and add '-v -i' instead, to get a hint on what's going on.
Also, follow Dag-Erling's recommendation to use the '-o-'.

> >> Can you completely prevent echo from interpreting $ sign?
> >
> > What do you mean?  "$(curl ...)" will first get expanded (curl
> > command executed) and stdout from curl will be echoed.
>
> I cannot guarantee that the keys don't include something that looks
> like an environment variable which echo will expand.

No worries.  "$(curl ...)" is expanded just once.

Cheers,

--
Cristian