Compiling openssh v6.5 with --with-ssl-dir not working

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Tue Feb 4 08:09:13 EST 2014

On Mon, 3 Feb 2014, Ethier, Michael wrote:

> Hi Iain,
>
> Yup that did it. I recompiled OpenSSL with:
>
> ./config -fPIC --prefix=.....
>
> And the OpenSSH 6.5 worked. This was not required in previous versions
> of OpenSSH.

Yes, OpenSSH now attempts to build a Position Independent Executable (PIE)
by default on Linux, OpenBSD and OS X. This requires that the libraries
that it links against are build -fPIC.

Another way to work around that would be to build OpenSSH --without-pie,
but then you lose the security benefits of PIE.

-d