-h, --help option

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 04:53:42 EST 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Darren Tucker <dtucker at zip.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Enough work? Is the main problem in that ssh option parsing code doesn't
>> support long options and doing this in C in cross-platform manner doesn't
>> worth the development time?
>
> Long options are a non-standard GNU extension.  OpenSSH aims to be a POSIX
> program.  See
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/getopt.html and
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap12.html#tag_12_02

Do GNU/POSIX standards evolve? If not, is there any more modern standard that
includes these? I am worried, because --help is a standard option for any Python
program, so no Python program can be POSIX compliant.

Are there any modern initiatives to develop standard like POSIX. Modern means
backed up with latest UX research that emerged in the last decade?

>> Maybe the problem is that people are not interested to do this work,
>> because it simply doesn't affect them?
>  More like people disagree with you that it should be done.

Right. There are only two replies and it is always hard to persuade my stats
senses that the selection is representative even if there are no reasons to
doubt.

> from upthread:
>>
>> HTML pages are more usable than man, just because we are all familiar with
>> browsers and know where is their search button.
>

> Try http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=ssh&sektion=1

StackOverflow is better and more Google friendly. =)
--
anatoly t.