no config.sub after 'make distclean' - FYI

aixtools aixtools at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 19:07:02 AEST 2015

On 2015-08-18 10:37 AM, aixtools wrote:
> FYI: About to leave on vacation, so no time to go deep. so sorry.
>
> Downloaded openssh-7.0p1 and build using --without-openssl
>
> First issue was:
>  make install DESTDIR=/var/aixtools/openbsd/openssh/7.0.0.1601 >
> .buildaix/install.out
> Could not load host key: /var/openssh/etc/ssh_host_rsa_key
> Could not load host key: /var/openssh/etc/ssh_host_dsa_key
> Could not load host key: /var/openssh/etc/ssh_host_ed25519_key
> Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
> sshd: no hostkeys available -- exiting.
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
> make: 1254-005 Ignored error code 1 from last command.
>
> I did not run make check; neither am I sure if this is a new "make
> install" issue.
> However, I recall "make check" would fail when these keys did not
> pre-exist.
>
> Next:
> after "make distclean" I get
>
> root at x064:[/data/prj/openbsd/openssh/openssh-7.0p1]./configure
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... cc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... no
> checking whether cc accepts -g... yes
> checking for cc option to accept ISO C89... -qlanglvl=extc89
> configure: error: cannot run /bin/sh ./config.sub
>
> Again, all FYI. When I am back in September I will look more closely,
> if still needed.

Additional FYI.

I probably need to read the Change Notes - so probably it is not a
surprise that Putty 0.64 is not (always) working.

I thought I only had one "old cbc" cipher active to support an old SSH
client.

The surprising part is when sshd_config has this added:
ciphers
aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,chacha20-poly1305 at openssh.com,aes256-cbc
KexAlgorithms
curve25519-sha256 at libssh.org,diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha256,diffie-hellman-group14-sha1,diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
macs hmac-sha2-256,hmac-sha2-512,hmac-sha1-96,hmac-sha1

openssh-7.0p1 sshd does actually ask for the password, rather than fail
outright with protocol mismatch
(which is what it does without the "backwards-compatible" ciphers, et
al, above., i.e., never gets to asking for password).