which are the exact effects of MaxSessions

Jakub Jelen jjelen at redhat.com
Fri Feb 20 18:09:27 AEDT 2015

Hello,
According my observation, MaxSessions 1 works for opening only one
session through multiplexed channel, which degrades multiplexed
connection back to only one session. MaxSessions 0 doesn't make much sense.

I don't know if you use openssh from some distribution, but in RHEL we
had recently one bug in audit which looks similar like your issue --
with MaxSessions 1 sshd was preventing to log you in.

On 02/20/2015 02:51 AM, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Hey.
>
> I wondered a bit which the exact effects of MaxSessions are.
>
> The documentation says:
>          Specifies the maximum number of open sessions permitted per net‐
>          work connection.  The default is 10.
>

> And it apparently seems that setting e.g. the following in sshd_config:
>    MaxSessions 0
>       => no logins possible at all
>
>    MaxSessions 1
>       => control channel muxing basically forbidden from the server side
>
>    MaxSessions n
>       => at most n sessions may use a mux, including the one which
>          initiated it
>          but further muxes (with again n session) may be created by that
>          client
>

> Is it just that? Or are there any other side effects which I can't see?
Yes, it should be like this. Basically it is meant to have max N
interactive sessions in that connection initiated by mux. If you try to
connect using "ssh -T", pty is not allocated and this doesn't count as a
session (not sure if it is bug or feature -- reproducible with vanilla
sources). Damien?

Greetings,
Jakub