OpenSSH v6.7 & NumberOfPasswordPrompts Option ...

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Fri Jan 16 08:57:59 AEDT 2015

On Thu 2015-01-15 15:47:33 -0500, Trey Henefield wrote:
> debug3: authmethod_lookup keyboard-interactive
> debug3: remaining preferred: password
> debug3: authmethod_is_enabled keyboard-interactive
> debug1: Next authentication method: keyboard-interactive
> debug2: userauth_kbdint
> debug2: we sent a keyboard-interactive packet, wait for reply
> debug2: input_userauth_info_req
> debug2: input_userauth_info_req: num_prompts 1
> Password:
> debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
> debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
> debug3: authmethod_lookup password
> debug3: remaining preferred:
> debug3: authmethod_is_enabled password
> debug1: Next authentication method: password
> root at 10.10.2.51's password:
> debug2: we sent a password packet, wait for reply
> debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
> debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
> debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
> Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).
>

> In the above output, the first prompt is "Password:". The second prompt is "root at 10.10.2.51's password:"

The first prompt is a keyboard-interactive prompt; the second prompt is
the password prompt.  please try again with
-oKbdInteractiveAuthentication=no

Regards,

        --dkg

PS if possible, you should probably avoid using password authentication
for the root account anyway, but that's a sideline to the issue you're
seeing here.