OpenSSH v6.7 & NumberOfPasswordPrompts Option ...

Iain Morgan imorgan at nas.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 16 09:26:07 AEDT 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 20:53:39 +0000, Trey Henefield wrote:
> I have tried giving the options " ChallengeResponseAuthentication=no" and "KbdInteractiveAuthentication=no", with no change in behavior.
>
> I did try " PasswordAuthentication=no" and that did remove the second prompt, but password authentication is what I am trying to achieve. I am also using PAM via "UsePAM=yes" option.

As already noted on the list, the "Password:" prompt is due to
keyboard-interactive authentication, whereas the '<username>@<host>'s
password:' prompt is due to password authentication. In most cases, you
only want to have one of these authentication methods enabled.

So, using "-oKbdInteractiveAuthentication=no" should have addressed your
issue. What pormpts did you get in that case?

--
Iain Morgan