ssh-copy-id bugfix

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 00:45:01 AEDT 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Philip Hands <phil at hands.com> wrote:
> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> writes:

>> What seems to be missing in the patch is a comment line, above the
>> stanza, explaining why the code uses "exec".
>
> My reading of the presence of "exec" there was:
>
>   We're assuming that the current shell may not be to our liking, so
>   there seems to be little point keeping it in memory solely so it can
>   at worst somehow get in the way of a clean exit.
>
> Does that really need a comment?  I'm not sure I can make a succinct
> explanation of what's going on for anyone that doesn't already know what
> exec does.  Feel free to make suggestions though.

That is _precisely_ why it needs a comment. It's a selection of a
particular technology for a particular reason that someone may not
understand as important without having to dig back to a thread or bug
report like this. For example:

     # Use "exec sh -c" to ensure POSIX compliant scripting,
especially for fish and tcsh users
     [ "$DRY_RUN" ] || printf '%s\n' "$NEW_IDS" | ssh "$@" "