SSH Closes Immediately After Opening

Ángel González keisial at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 07:45:18 AEST 2016

On 30/06/16 17:12, Wallace Forman wrote:
> Embarrassing to say, I'm really not sure what constitutes a "console"
> or "shell".

The shell is the program that reads the commands you write and executes
them.
ssh doesn't run "cd"  It handles the secure layer, launches your shell
and leaves you to communicate with it however you want. So for instance
if your shell is cmd.exe you would list the contents of a folder with
"dir", but use "ls" in bash.

If after authentication sshd is not able to run your shell (errors
reading the user profile, the shell is not executable, etc.), then it
closes the connection, as you report.

> To explain what does and does not seem to be working:
> (…)
>
> 2) On computer 1, sshd is running, but when connecting with "ssh
> localhost" from the command prompt on that same computer, sshd seems
> to be accepting the password, but closing immediately (see output in
You can verify whether it is really accepting the password by entering a
wrong one.

> 4) When I try to connect from computer 2 to computer 1 (from putty or
> command prompt), the session closes immediately, as when I try to
> connect from Computer 1.
This is the same as #2

Regards