portable sftp oddity: sftp, redirection of stderr and ControPersist

Nick Holland nick at holland-consulting.net
Thu Jul 7 15:07:15 AEST 2016

hi,

Ran into a problem which I thought was an AIXism, but have since found
that it can be reproduced on Linux and MacOS.  It can NOT be reproduced
on OpenBSD.

Reproduced on:
AIXv7.1 OpenSSH v6.0p1
RedHat 6.8 OpenSSH 5.4p1
Redhat 7.2 OpenSSH 6.6.1p1
MacOS 10.11 (sorry, forgot to grab the OpenSSH version)

Could not reproduce on:
OpenBSD 5.9-current, march snapshot, OpenSSH_7.2
OpenBSD 5.3-current, April snapshot, OpenSSH_6.2

Demonstration: set up an account on a system that can ssh to itself and
authenticate via keys.

Create and run this script:
=====
#!/usr/bin/ksh

mkdir -p ~/dest

for X in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do
     echo $X
     echo "cd dest
     put $0" | sftp -b - localhost 2>&1 | tee -a outfile
done
=====

Change first line to whatever shell your system uses (that's AIX's
default), otherwise, should be pretty portable.

Run it, it should copy itself to a directory in your home directory ten
times, should take just a few seconds.

Now, add the following to ~/.ssh/config :
=====
ControlMaster auto
ControlPath ~/.ssh/control/%h:%r:%p
ControlPersist 10s
=====

re-run script.
* What I think should happen is the persistent control channel should
greatly reduce the SSH connection time, so it should run significantly
faster.

* What DOES happen on platforms with a problem: the "ControlPersist"
value becomes an SSH rate limiter -- instead of holding a connection
OPEN for ten seconds, it PREVENTS another SSH session from starting for
ten seconds!  So, instead of taking maybe four seconds before, now it
takes 104 seconds (10 x 10 seconds + ssh connection overhead).  Change
the ControlPersist to some other value, the overall speed goes up or
down, but never as fast as without the ControlPersist options in place.

here's where it gets weird.
Remove the "2>&1" from the sftp line, and the problem goes away -- the
script runs much faster with the .ssh/config file than without it.
Unfortunately, I need the stderr output. :-/

It appears to be the "2>&1 | {cmd}" structure that is at fault --
doesn't matter if {cmd} is tee, wc, or a shell function (as it was in my
"real" project).

I have found that 2>error.file |tee outfile works, and then I can append
the error.file output into the end of the "outfile" and accomplish my
goals, but that's kinda ugly.

Thanks for looking!

Nick.